Sunday 26 September 2010

St Peter's Church - Sunderland

Cycling around today the weather was overcast and far from perfect for photography. Near to the end of my ride I popped into St Peter's church in search of a cup of tea and a bun, they have a cafe at the rear of the place. However on Sunday afternoons all that you can get is Sunday lunch, but the kindly chef offered me a bowl of soup and a coffee, and I can certainly recommend the excellent soup! The cafe is open for a limited period on all days except Mondays.

There is some evidence to suggest that Bede was born in Sunderland and that he spent most of his time at the St Peter's site, which at that time was a monastery. No doubt the people of Jarrow would dispute this as they claim Bede as one of theirs.

Photography was a tad difficult within the building without a flash gun or a tripod, but I managed to capture a couple of shots.



The fruits of the Harvest Festival on display in the foreground.



I have been into the church a number of times in the past, but had failed to notice the attractively painted ceiling.

No comments: